The Mulcahy Scholarship Awards was launched in 2018 by the Aisling Irish Community Center in Yonkers, New York. The aim of the Mulcahy Scholarship is to provide American high school students the opportunity to travel to Ireland and experience first-hand Irish culture and heritage in a fun and diverse way. This scholarship was established in tribute to the Mulcahy family’s hard work and dedication to Project Children, a charity that for forty years, worked untiringly to change the lives of children all over Northern Ireland.
Forty years later, America is replicating but in the reverse and in honor of Denis Mulcahy and his family, the Aisling Irish Community Center is now sending students back to Ireland to participate in a two-week summer program, where they experience Irish cultural, arts, sports and many other educational programs.
The long-term goal of the Mulcahy Scholarship is to develop the necessary funding that will facilitate growth of this unique program, enabling a large number of American high school students to attend cultural summer courses in Northern and Southern Ireland. It is integral to the Mulcahy Scholarship that we preserve and promote a strong and progressive connection between Ireland and America.
- Applicants must be over the age of 16 and in their third year or above of American High School at the time of application.
- Students must be willing to travel to Ireland during the summer months and partake in the Irish cultural programs in which they are enrolled.
Eligibility Note: The Mulcahy Scholarship recipients are eligible to receive the scholarship only once. If a student applies for the Mulcahy Scholarship and is declined, they are welcome to re-apply the following year, as long as they still meet all eligibility requirements listed above.
How to Apply
- The application process for the 2019 Mulcahy Scholarship is currently closed and will open in early spring 2019.
- Students are expected to complete a short application form and submit a 1,500-word essay on why they are a suitable ambassador for the Mulcahy Scholarship.
- Scholarship recipients will be chosen by The Mulcahy Scholarship Board of Directors. They will look for candidates who have the potential to excel as young leaders and to represent the Aisling Irish Community Center and the Mulcahy Family with distinction during their trip to Ireland.
For more information on the Mulcahy Scholarship, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Conor James: 2018